Studying Ayurveda and Yoga and Panchakarma recommendations
The following are some ideas of where to experience and study both Ayurveda and Yoga in the UK and India. They have been tried and tested first hand, or have been recommended by other people I trust! They offer authentic Ayurveda and Yoga as well as an enriching learning experience.
As a first port of call, do contact the UK Ayurvedic Practitioner’s Association or firstname.lastname@example.org in regards to different courses on offer and qualifications required to practise Ayurveda in the UK.
Residential Panchakarma options in UK
- Ayuseva clinic, Hove Brighton- founded by two inspirational practitioners, Sascha and Rebecca Kriese.
- Essential Ayurveda, Lincolnshire, run by another inspiring husband and wife team, Andrew and aura Shakeshaft.
- Dr Raju is Visiting Professor at the Maharishi Ayurveda Hospital in North Delhi. He is an expert is pulse reading and will provide the traditional Ayurvedic consultation experience whereby the doctor tells you what is wrong rather than you speaking about your symptoms. If you are in Delhi, a consultation with Dr Raju is a must. If you would like Panchakarma treatment, the Maharishi Ayurveda Hospital in Delhi offers authentic treatment.
- Dr Chauhan is an inspirtion pioneer in bringing Ayurveda to as many people as possible globally. He founded Jiva Ayurveda which offers Panchakarma, consultations and courses in India and Europe. Courses include Ayurvedic Beauty, Cooking, Lifestyle Consultant, and Women’s Health to name a few. They also produce many of reasonably priced Ayurvedic products which they are happy to export. Jiva is based in Faridabad, a satellite town just South of Delhi.
- AyurPak is a wonderful Ayurvedic restaurant in Rishikesh run by a husband and wife team -eating their is like being part of the family. The menu includes such delights as Shatavari kheer, especially good for women, rose flavoured milk for cooling down Pitta types, and home-made amla jam with semolina pancakes. They also offer cooking lessons. No web-site but address is AyurPak, Tapovan, Laxman Jhula, Rishikesh. Vishal Gupta is on 9897 296 399.
- Rasovai offers trainings, courses, workshops, consultation, treatments and panchakarma. I completed their AyurBalance Massage training in December 2008 and greatly enjoyed the course. They also offer training in AyurYoga massage- a fusion of Ayurvedic massage and Yoga stretches. The centre is in North Goa, near the lovely beach Ashwem.
- Dr Marda and his wife, Dr Suraj Marda run a small but thriving clinic in a busy area of Pune. I spent one month living in the clinic and also had Panchakarma there. Do book a consultation if you are in Pune, by emailing them on on email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Punarnava Ayurveda offers an Ayurvedic healing Village on the outskirts of Coimbature. The web-site is very helpful with many resources. For example, listen to Dr Rama Prasad’s lecture on Ayurvedic view on skin disease. You can have panchakarma here or do courses on Ayurveda from 3 days to 6 months.
- PKM Hospital, Thaliparamba, Kerala, offer panchakarma/massage facilities. They have their own pharmacy and prepare everything themselves. The head physician is Gurukkal – he is traditionally trained and absolutely amazing! Recommended by Collette Bruwer
- Ayushakti Ayurveda Clinic – Consultations and residential Panchakarma in Mumbai, India- an oasis in the heart of the city. Recommended by Rebecca & Sascha Kriese. Now also offering residential panchakarma stays in Goa, South India.
- Ayurveda and Yoga Retreat, Coimbatore offers panchakarma, Ayurvedic food, yoga and meditation for about 70 Euros a day if you are sharing a room. The setting is beautiful, on top of a mountain, with views of tea plantations. Recommdened by Swedish practitioner, Sara Frykland.
- Vaidyaratnammoose hospital in Kerala. Recommended by Swedish practitioner, Sara Frykland.
- Aryavaidya shala hospital in Kerala with a new branch for westerners in Kerala. Recommdened by Swedish practitioner, Sara Frykland.
- Ayurveda in Indien Run by Dr Kiran in Kovalam, recommended by Hella Schmidt
Beyond the workshops and weekends offered by AyurvedicYogi, you may also be interested in the followingorganisations offering training and courses in Ayurveda:
- Ayurveda Pura Academy (www.ayurvedapura.com)
- Tri-dosha (www.tri-dosha.co.uk)
- Ayurvedic Institute of Europe (www.ayurvedainstitute.org)
- Ayurvedic Bodywork Consortium (indianheadmassage.org)
- The European Institute of Vedic Studies (email@example.com)
- Ayurveda Retreat (www.ayurveda-retreat.co.uk)
- Yoga Well (www.yogawell.co.uk)
- Dr Ashok Kumar (www.drashokayurvedicclinic.com)
Recommended Distance Learning Courses
- Pukka Herbs : Introduction to Ayurveda www.pukkaherbs.com
- American Institute of Vedic Studies (www.vedanet.com)
Degree Qualifications in Ayurveda with the College of Ayurveda at Middlesex University, London
The College of Ayurveda is affiliated with Middlesex University and offers a validated suite of degree courses in Ayurvedic medicine- please click here for more:
- BSc Complementary Health Sciences (Ayurveda)
- Post-Graduate Diploma/MSc Ayurvedic Medicine
- Advanced Diploma for Qualified Healthcare Professionals